Skip to main content

HUMMINGBIRD, DON'T FLY AWAY - PART 2

Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away
Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away
In you I've found a fragrance
I'll love you 'til I die
I just love you, love you, love you
I don't even know the reason why now
Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away
Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away
The sweetness of your nectar
Has drawn me like a fly
I just love you, love you, love you
I don't even know the reason why now
Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away
Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away
                  ~Seals and Crofts Lyrics

 

Hummingbirds are always a welcome sight at my house. They’re fast, cute, and really fun to watch. They also help pollinate your flowers, so attracting them definitely has benefits for gardeners. You can attract them a number of ways: from planting colorful flowers to avoiding using pesticides. But the easiest way to bring them into your yard is by installing a red hummingbird feeder.  Pam at BrownThumbMama shares tips and the recipe to make nectar.  I also found a video here: Make Hummingbird Nectar


It is a good time to start feeding hummingbirds if you want to attract some of the early migration about the first of April.  This time does vary as some southern US areas may start seeing hummers in March, and extreme northern areas and Canada may not see them until the first part of May.

click the link When should I start feeding hummingbirds for more hummingbird feeding information.

Although it can be refrigerated for about a week before using, avoid making up too much nectar at one time.   It is best just to fill the feeders about half, for it needs to be changed every four or five days, and in hot weather, maybe even more often to prevent the nectar from becoming moldy.  Never use anything but plain white granulated table sugar when making your nectar, and always thoroughly clean your feeder before refilling. click link for more information on hummingbird feeder and cleaning

Hang the feeder in a shady spot near flowering plants that attract the birds.  Hummingbirds are very territorial and will chase off other hummingbirds trying to use their feeder, so if you use more than one feeder, hang them in locations so that both feeders can not be seen at the same time to improve feeding.


Leave the feeder up for about two weeks after your hummingbirds have left for the season.   If you go 2 weeks without seeing a Hummingbird in September,
this might be when to stop feeding hummingbirds and take down your hummingbird feed/hummingbird feeder until next year.  It is not true that leaving a feeder out longer than you should "messes up" the birds clock to migrate. 
As the days get shorter, this decrease in the amount of daylight will trigger hormonal changes in the Hummingbird that will cause them to migrate southward.






This is considered by many to be the 'Jim Dandy' of hummingbird feeders, the HummZinger Ultra with Nectar Guard
It has flexible membranes attached to the feed ports that prohibit entry from flying insects, but allow Hummingbirds to feed as usual. The HummZinger also has a built in ant moat that will stop crawling insects from getting to the nectar. It also has raised flower ports that divert rain.  I definitely am adding this baby to my wish list!!  I also think the Hummingbird Brush Kit would be very nice to have as well.
Much more information on hummingbirds can be found here:
More hummingbird products can be found here:  
Peace:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hump Day with Teen Tude

Wednesday is Hump Day:and we are half-way through the week.  We here in the USA are looking forward to a big holiday weekend, the 4th of July!  I am sure my sons will take their kids to one of the fireworks shows in the area, and we always have a family cook-out at my brothers house.  I still have to try to get my stuff together for the big yard sale my DILs are having on Saturday.  But today, my husband and a few of his friends are meeting here to finish putting up the big 100 ft CB antennae tower for his "Bull Creek Sub-Station!  He loves to talk and there is always a listening audience for his foolishness on the CB.  That is about the only hobby he has, lol! For me, my love of digi-scrapping led me last night to double-check and finish some of the photo books I have to make sure they are ready for printing.  I added a couple of slide shows from these projects over on the right side of my blog so I hope you take the time to peek at them.  I can't wait to actually see these

Bells of St Clements

“Oranges and lemons… The Bells of St Clements…”. The words of this old English singing game identified the church bells in and around London and are the inspiration behind Rina’s “Bells of St Clements” collection. Full of juicy fruity freshness in citrus shades of cream, lemon yellow, orange and lime green, this collection is sure to become a summer favorite. As part of the Door Buster Event , there will be some new coordinates for Rina's new (soon to be released) kit that are priced for only $1 or $2 !!! I have loved playing with this beautiful kit! Here are some layouts I have finished today. This is a special page I made for my DS#2 and his lovely wife! I love you guys and wish you only the best which life has to offer!!! Thank you for stopping my blog today and here is a freebie I made for you from the layout above. ***SORRY-NO LONGER AVAILABLE***

In Memoriam Collection

Anyone who has lost a loved one knows how much they cherish them and want to preserve their memory. Putting together a Memory Album is one way of remembering them, now and for future generations. Rina and Kimberly have come together in bringing you the "In Memoriam" collection that exemplifies gentleness in strength. Inside this large collection you will find a myriad of embellishments and papers that are suitable for both softly feminine and more rugged masculine pages. It is delicate and sensitive, yet strong and thoughtful. The colors are peaceful, yet with an intensity that gives them strength. You will be able to choose from a number of color combinations: from crisp silvery white and lavender, to the soft glow of gold leaf and sky blue, from warm caramel and taupe to shades found in nature, and finally to accent colors of scarlet red, navy blue and dark purple. Often times our emotions are still very raw from our loss and we may find it difficult to draw on our own c