Skip to main content

Wishing My Life Away

Growing up, it was always a thrill for the new Sear & Roebuck catalogs to come in the mail.  I would spend hours and hours going through the catalog, page by page, and making wish lists.  I would write down all the ordering information: product name, product #, shipping weight....everything just like I was really going to order it.   I would "order" clothes for my brothers and parents, as well as for myself.  I would wish for Daddy new tools, and furnish Mama's house in the things I knew she would love, and when the Christmas catalog came, my brothers and I would have had everything we saw on television on Saturday mornings!  I loved wishing.....I guess that is where my Daddy first noticed that I was wishing my life away!  I have heard that phrase more than once in my lifetime, and usually it held negative connotations  from him or someone else who was frustrated with me!

I can't help it; I like to wish!  Mama made most all my clothes, so about the only "real" shopping we ever did was at the grocery store.  Right before school started, we always went to Arnetts Department store for that is where she usually bought my shoes.  I liked it when my feet quit growing for then I actually could have more than one or two pairs at a time!  Occasionally, she would find some bargains at the Dollar General Store but for the most part everything at our house came from the Sears catalog, and I loved making my wish lists.  I guess that is all it took to satisfy my shopping desire for I never have much enjoyed going to Malls and window shopping as other women seem to.

Today, my husband and I live from paycheck-to-paycheck.  Don't get be wrong...we are not impoverished nor needy.  The bills are always paid and we are never hungry but still it would be nice to go to the grocery and buy what you actually wanted rather than what you can afford.  We live in a nice little two bedroom home he built for us here in the holler, and I really would not want to be anywhere else....unless he wanted to move to the lake!  LOL   And, I would not complain if I could buy a sewing machine and could actually afford to buy fabrics and craft supplies ever once-in-a-while....the point is, I guess, if there is one,  my husband has taught be very well the difference between wants and needs.  He has been a most excellent teacher in that!  He works very hard to take care of our needs, and then if there is any extra, we can get a few of those 'wants'.  For that, I am most thankful.  I really am!  But I still wish, and I don't see any harm in that, wishing is free!

I no longer write out my long lists of wishes.  I don't have to anymore thanks to DSL coming to the holler.  I can get on my computer and spend hours and hours browsing anything and everything my little heart desires!
I think that is why I enjoy my new Facebook page so much.  I post recipes I would love to cook, crafts I would love to make, home improvements I would do...everything I may do and would do if I could afford it...Grannynky's Recipes Tips & More on Facebook is my wish list.  I invite you come check it out :)

     www.facebook.com/GrannynkysRecipes

I used the Domestic Goddess Collection by Raspberry Road Designs to create my Facebook Timeline cover. (Click the above link to see in the Raspberry Road Store).  I have been using many of the Raspberry Road Designs digi-scrap kits on my Facebook page.  Come back tomorrow and Susan has generously allowed me to offer you a great freebie I made using the Domestic Goddess Kit!
Peace and Hugz :)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hump Day with Teen Tude

Wednesday is Hump Day:and we are half-way through the week.  We here in the USA are looking forward to a big holiday weekend, the 4th of July!  I am sure my sons will take their kids to one of the fireworks shows in the area, and we always have a family cook-out at my brothers house.  I still have to try to get my stuff together for the big yard sale my DILs are having on Saturday.  But today, my husband and a few of his friends are meeting here to finish putting up the big 100 ft CB antennae tower for his "Bull Creek Sub-Station!  He loves to talk and there is always a listening audience for his foolishness on the CB.  That is about the only hobby he has, lol! For me, my love of digi-scrapping led me last night to double-check and finish some of the photo books I have to make sure they are ready for printing.  I added a couple of slide shows from these projects over on the right side of my blog so I hope you take the time to peek at them.  I can't wait to actually see these

Bells of St Clements

“Oranges and lemons… The Bells of St Clements…”. The words of this old English singing game identified the church bells in and around London and are the inspiration behind Rina’s “Bells of St Clements” collection. Full of juicy fruity freshness in citrus shades of cream, lemon yellow, orange and lime green, this collection is sure to become a summer favorite. As part of the Door Buster Event , there will be some new coordinates for Rina's new (soon to be released) kit that are priced for only $1 or $2 !!! I have loved playing with this beautiful kit! Here are some layouts I have finished today. This is a special page I made for my DS#2 and his lovely wife! I love you guys and wish you only the best which life has to offer!!! Thank you for stopping my blog today and here is a freebie I made for you from the layout above. ***SORRY-NO LONGER AVAILABLE***

In Memoriam Collection

Anyone who has lost a loved one knows how much they cherish them and want to preserve their memory. Putting together a Memory Album is one way of remembering them, now and for future generations. Rina and Kimberly have come together in bringing you the "In Memoriam" collection that exemplifies gentleness in strength. Inside this large collection you will find a myriad of embellishments and papers that are suitable for both softly feminine and more rugged masculine pages. It is delicate and sensitive, yet strong and thoughtful. The colors are peaceful, yet with an intensity that gives them strength. You will be able to choose from a number of color combinations: from crisp silvery white and lavender, to the soft glow of gold leaf and sky blue, from warm caramel and taupe to shades found in nature, and finally to accent colors of scarlet red, navy blue and dark purple. Often times our emotions are still very raw from our loss and we may find it difficult to draw on our own c